Sunday, May 6, 2018

Things I learned from the Portrait Society of America

So I really enjoyed going to the PSOA conference this year. Was my first time attending and was blown over by the amount of people that attendend! Also didn't realize it was their 20th anniversary so was excited to be a part of it!

So I mentioned in older post that I would write a little of what I learned while there so....

Ok a hugely important thing to remember is to write down names immediately of people that I meet and/or get card from them (my networking skills need a bit of work). I tried to remember names and didn't write them down so now I can't look up the artist from Finland that showed me some awesome work from her portfolio or a finalist who had shared some exciting things about her life. I did get info from a few people though and glad that I did.

Technical tips and advice...
Had my portfolio reviewed by 3 different faculty artists and learned that I need to rely less on photos and more from live models to get more depth of realism. Need also to work on anatomy of hands.

One of the most important things I learned is the technique of strategically depicting areas of my painting that are sharply focused and areas that fall away into a more softer focus. This actually makes painting become more alive and real... having too much tight control can actually take away from the full affect. I originally thought that I just needed to loosen my control overall and go for a more painterly, loose style but one of the master artists that critiqued my work told me it's a matter of where you choose to sharpen focus and where you soften it that really is most important. Below is an example that I think demonstrates perfectly the advice he gave me. The example is a master painting by one of my favorite artists, John Singer Sargent. The painting is titled, "Lady Agnew of Locknaw". As you can see, I circled the areas that demonstrate the softening and sharpening of focus. This was done with expertise by Sargent who is one of the most celebrated portrait artists of all time. Will share more of what I learned in later post. Thanks for looking!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Video

Have recently completed a still life painting and while painting it, I thought it would be good to take pictures of the progression. Though...