Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Little Venetian Painting

Started a little painting 9" x 12" of a photo I took some years ago in Venice, an addition that connects San Marco and the Doge's Palace. The lion above the door is the symbol of Venice and you will see lions as architectural elements in other locations around the city. I love lions and not too sure of the meaning behind the venetian lion but I suppose it has spiritual significance. There are lots a details to paint here so trying very hard to keep lines perpendicular. I will not attempt to do a photo realistic painting...not my style and I already have the photo. But I do want to try to capture the luminosity of that morning by starting my palette with dull colors, adding hints of lighter and brighter as I go.

"Porto Della Carta in Morning Light" (oil on canvas panel, 9 x 12 inches)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Video

Have recently completed a still life painting and while painting it, I thought it would be good to take pictures of the progression. Though...